I still remember the first time I chose a domain name for my blog. It was the early aughts and I was laboring mightily to come up with a catchy name that adequately and accurately captured what my new business was about. Then, I had a discussion with a good friend of mine—a web developer—who owned a successful branding agency. He asked me what me series of questions that made me a aware that I had not spent enough time thinking about the name of a domain. For example:
- “What are products or services are you selling?”
- “Who is your ideal customer?”
- “What are their biggest challenges?”
- “How are you uniquely qualified to satisfy their product or service needs?”
- “How do you plan to convey your expertise via your domain name?”
Yes, a lot goes into selecting a strong name for your domain. A guide I recently wrote for WordPress.com can help you better understand the role a domain plays on the Web and help you decide how to name yours for maximum impact.
You can read the entire article on the WordPress.com website.